9.22.2010

GETTING BACK TO BASICS

Hi guys! I'm returning home today and I know that my house is going to be less than par since I left my hubby in charge of three boys! So it was funny when Tonia sent me her guest post talking about cleaning your home! Maybe she was hinting at something;-)





header 2




Hello there people, Tonia here from Chic Modern Vintage. I’d like to say that I’m taking an impromptu trip to some exotic locale, but that is not the case. Ms. LaKeitha is in New York and I’m filling in while she’s out. We all like to discuss how to decorate, and what to use to decorate. I like to get down to the bare basics of great decorating. 





I was speaking to a long time family friend the other day, we discussed bed bugs. Yes, bed bugs. She asked, “You remember when, your Grandmother use to take all the mattresses out, and lay them out in the sun?” Then she went on and asked, You remember when she would have everybody in the house cleaning windows?”





Here are three things to add a bit of spark to your home this Fall. Things that my Grandparents did when to keep their home in tip top shape. It will only cost you a bit of sweat.




Clean windows let tons of glorious light in. Try a good cleaning inside and out twice a year. In the Fall and then again in the Spring.




It’s a bit of a hassle and might be considered a bit weird, but laying your mattresses out in the sun, will freshen them up. We never had bed bugs either.




Fall is a great time to clear out things out, and get organized. Donate usable unwanted items. This way you’re not overwhelmed when Spring comes.





These are things we all know to do but sometimes they are overlooked or maybe not mentioned. A good clean and organized home is really the first layer of decorating.





Thanks so much LaKeitha for asking me to fill in while your off gallivanting in New York. I hope your having a fabulous time in New York City. Can I get a key chain, please?











Great tips Tonia! I laughed at the thought of me putting the mattress outside for a while! My husband would not only think I'm crazy, but he would probably check into a hospital too! Have any of you ever put your mattress out in the sun for a while? Do you have any cleaning rituals that you do with the change of the season? I'd love to hear them!

Okay, so I'll be home later today! I may be able to post tomorrow or I may wait until Friday after I've gotten some rest...I can't wait to share everything with you!



Photobucket

11 comments:

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Thanks LaKeitha for allowing me to fill in while you are out. I hope someone can use at least 1 of my tried and true tips.

A Perfect Gray said...

great post, Tonia.

LaKeitha, it was MY PLEASURE to meet you in the 'green room' of the Nate Show. You are darling and thanks for the secret scoop you let me in on!

Love to you! Dona

Stacey said...

Great post Tonia and lovely tips on cleaning. Bed bugs have also taken over the news lately too:-) xx

Anonymous said...

Airing and sunning your beds outside isn't such a weird idea if you understand that this can be done by putting them out on an upstairs balony or maybe in front of the nearest large, open, sunny window. Nothing beats it! Great post Tonia! Hi LaKeitha I hope you had a great time in New York - that's where I live. Come visit me when you get a chance and say "Hi".

Cat said...

This post couldn't have come at a better time...cleaning my windows has been on the good old to-do list for WEEKS now. Thanks for the reminder :) xo Cat

Lindsey said...

love this post! it was so great meeting you in person! thanks for coming to our lunch!

lindsey
www.insidestoop.com

alanna rose said...

I am currently purging the closets, but was feeling a bit sluggish about talking them today - I found some inspiration here! And I should REALLY wash my windows :)

Anonymous said...

I've never really given much thought cleaning my windows, as a matter of fact they do need to be cleaned.

Alise said...

I came over from Chic Modern Vintage. I can't say that I have ever seen anyone with there mattresses outside in the sun, but I've heard the reports of killing them with heat, so it just may work.

Unknown said...

I completely agree, Fall for me is such a time of purging and cleaning! (I am too pooped by new years to even think of doing it then!)
Great post Tonia...and Lakeitha, hope you had the best time in NYC and that you came home to a super neat and clean house! Fingers crossed!

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design said...

Love this post, especially timely given that I am in the middle of a major spring clean before a Garage Sale next weekend and my wedding the weekend after... yes I think I may be mad!!

:) Hazel