4.19.2012

WHY DO YOU DIY?

Yesterday while I was banging my head against the wall from all the wrong things I was doing staining the butcher block, I asked myself “Why do I DIY?”.  I mean seriously, a lot of us who do, can pretty much pay for the work to be done.  Think about it, how many times have you made a mistake on a DIY project and had to start over?  And then you eventually could have taken the money you paid originally, plus the money you had to pay to start over and just had it done yourself.  So while I was whining on Twitter last night to my good friend Tricia about how terrible my BB was looking,  I started to doubt my title as a DIY’er.

For some reason, I couldn’t figure out why the stain was making the wood look black.

pic.twitter.com/2OyStxnL

Then I figured that I really should not have skipped the wood conditioner. So I flipped the BB over and started fresh, this time adding the wood conditioner before the stain.

 image

Guess what? The same thing happened.

image

 So while I was contemplating giving up on the entire project, I figured I’d read the label on the can of stain again just to see if I was doing things right. 

image

Well I’ll be.  Does that say stir the stain thoroughly before use??? Oh I hollered so loud in this house last night!!!

After I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS, things started to turnaround

image

before being wiped off

image

after being wiped off

 

I get frustrated easily when things don’t go as planned.  And when I say frustrated, I mean to the point of tears.  But then I realize that I can’t do anything but laugh at myself because usually the project turned out wrong due to my lack of patience. 

After waking up this morning and applying another coat of stain, I realized why I DIY.  I DIY because when the projects turn out the way I envisioned them, it feels so good to say I did it myself and that I saved so much money in the process!

WHY DO YOU DIY?!

7 comments:

Allison@FabRehab said...

I have 3 boys and I need something to keep my sanity. I fell in love with DIYing and it's my therapy :)

Decor & Harmony said...

DIY can be frustrating but the reward is worth it. I DIY because it's my hobby and I love creating things and it keeps a smile on my face.

Sing of Singature Style said...

Girl I feel ya. I freak out when things don't turn out right. Just some of our natures. The only thing that matters is you press on till you get it right. It looks good.

Tricia said...

Don't throw things at me, but I giggled a little again when reading this. :)

It's the story of my DIY life. I love doing projects, but they NEVER go as planned and take 3 times longer and cost 3 times more than they should. Like you I get frustrated, I cry and I can guarantee I've thrown things...ahem...but I love the sense of pride and accomplishment I feel when I'm finished.

P.S. You don't even want to know the amount of money I have in my "simple" board and batten project. It's absurd!

Love ya, girlie!!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Okay, sorry, I'm laughing out loud. I so don't read directions, it's not in my DNA. Period. I just jump in and figure it out. Glad you stopped to read and now the project is looking great!

Why do I diy? Strangely, I find it extremely relaxing. I just finished painting a birdcage...all the while simply letting my mind drift. Such a nice break from other work that requires intense concentration. I had just been thinking about why I DIY and my answer prior to reading your post. :)

Janell

Unknown said...

I feel the same way! But when I slow down things turn out nice :) The counter is going to be very nice!

Barbara Matson said...

I do the same thing - in the middle of it all I swear I'll never to it again! BUT I do......I love to do things with my own two hands! I too also "forget" to read instructions...

Love your counter!