6.28.2010

BIG BOY BEDROOM: Nightstands

Hi everyone! I hope you had a great weekend. Mine was interesting. Our air conditioning unit went out and with temps in the upper 90’s it felt like….well, you know!

Today I want to talk furniture for the ‘big boy’ room. I mentioned that I was torn between using one palette

boys 238

Or, two palettes

boys 210

I think two palettes will give me the look I’m going for. With that in mind, it was time to find nightstands. I thought the RAST chests from IKEA would work if stained, but the size was large to flank both sides of the bed. Then, I thought back to my vision for the room: Rustic meets clean and contemporary and a little modern (?). The palettes would be my rustic and the nightstands would be my clean/contemporary/modern. By the way, don’t ask me how I came up with that! Anywho….After going to IKEA for the fourth time in a week, I decided on the MALM nightstands in oak

boys 247

Perfect! Clean lines, ideal height, and the oak veneer wouldn’t be to busy against the shipping palettes. And with a price tag of $39.99, they left room for lunch!

boys 275

Here is a quick snap shot of the nightstands in the room (ignore the sleeping child and Mr. Potato Head!) After writing this post, I realized I didn’t have pictures of the nightstands in the room so I snapped one this morning…

They provide the perfect amount on storage for his clothes so I can bring in a desk and chair on the opposite wall. Now, if I can just manage to bring myself to painting the desk…

What do you think? Were the nightstands a score or a bore?! And, would you have chosen one palette or two?

21 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I like it! Great photo, btw. I was a fan of one palette. But seeing the two, with the nightstands placed in front, shows using two was the right decision. It reads like a complete unit...very cool! This room is really coming along great. Janell

Unknown said...

TWO!!! :)...hello, I'm new to your blog, it think I was over at Janel's......
I really like your palletsolution!! With two pallets and the two nightstands you've created ONE piece......love it!!!
Thanks for sharing!
O and uhm......count me in as a follower;)!

Greetings
Lynda

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

This looks fantastic! Two pallets are my choice and the nightstands look great with the headboard! P.S. Your son is the cutest accessory!

UberBliss said...

I really like the entire look. Way to score big! Every time there's a post about IKEA, I pause to frown. No IKEA even in the driving distance area to me. Darned Midwest!

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

So happy you chose to put two palletes- much nicer this way. I like the ikea night stands. What color will the desk be?

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

I m liking the two palettes as well. IKEA is a perfect place for finding furniture for kids rooms because you know they'll outgrow it in a few years anyway! The room is coming along great!

Lana said...

Hope you have your air condition back. whew! the weather here is killing me, went to the lake a lot.

Love how your boy bedroom come together. If only I have a boy :)

Sandi (Meme) said...

I really like the way it turned out. Good job! Have a blessed week. Sandi

Dayka Robinson said...

2 palettes was definitely the way to go--love the look.

ooh, hate that your a/c is out! i read that it should be getting cooler after wednesday, so there's relief in sight!

Sing of Singature Style said...

Perfect choice! And love the nightstands you picked. It is really coming together. Good job girl.

Blayne Macauley said...

That's so creative! I love the shipping crates idea. You were right to go with 2 I think. One just isn't wide enough, you know? The Ikea stands do add the pop of modern! Awesome :)

Averill said...

I like! I'm especially loving how they fit so perfectly inside the two palettes (which look great, btw). And I think it's OK that they're simple as the headboard is the rest star here.

PS - Hope the a/c gets fixed pronto!

Erica Cook said...

Fantastic my friend!! xo e

Jennae said...

I couldn't really see where you were going with it with the two palettes, but with the nightstands, it makes so much sense and looks like an incredibly cozy place to sleep!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Looking good. His room is really coming together.

Angela said...

Love, love, love it!!!

Lynn said...

I really love the look of the bed room you created! You've done a wonderful job on it!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

Oh my!! I love the 2 palettes!! And the nightstands look perfect! oh, and I love the lamps (I just bought the exact same ones for my girl's room only with a hot pink shade)!!!

I hope that your ac is fixed?!?!

Unknown said...

look so cute, I was a fan of the two palettes with the nightstands in front - they look perfect! great job already, kids rooms are so much fun, can't wait to start my sons room

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

2 palettes definetly. Loving the nightstands as well.

Niki McNeill Brown said...

I see your vision coming together! How exciting! :-D