6.17.2010

BIG BOY BEDROOM: A Blank Slate

There are so many steps that need to be taken in order for me to get this room from its current state

boys 219

To this

sl-duvet-ronan

The first and most important thing for me to realize is that the inspiration image is just that, INSPIRATION. I can point many things that it has and the space I’m working with do not. For instance, my space have 8’ ceilings. This space obviously has more given the space above the palettes. I don’t have a window like the inspiration. And, I don’t have the money to use all Serena and Lily products:-)

So, with all of that said, lets get to the space I’m working with and my plans for it. When you enter the room, this is what you see

boys 209

You can already tell that I’m limited when it comes to big furniture pieces for the room.

Here is a look at the space facing the bed

boys 225

boys 219

Here is the closet. Do you remember what I turned that into?! I’m thinking about changing that and making it more usable space for this room. We’ll see!

boys 220

Here is the only window in the room

boys 222

And here is the large massive wall in front of the bed

boys 223

Oh, and here are some shots of the DIY bordered bedskirt!

boys 206

boys 224

And here’s what is going on in the room as I type

boys 226

boys 227

Yep, that’s my life!

Stay tuned for a breakdown of the what’s to come in the room!

19 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I am so excited to see how the space develops!

Unknown said...

He has such a great space the room. By the way the bedskirt turned out very nice!! The blue and greens look great together

Sing of Singature Style said...

Just curious...Have you tried seeing what one palette looks like? Since it is just an inspiration photo and not to be taking so literal, maybe you could get the most out of the bed wall space with one since the room is smaller. Just a thought.

Angela said...

I love the pic of them jumping in the new bed. That's priceless. The room will be beautiful and more importantly, your son will be able to enjoy it.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Sing,

Great suggestion! I have considered doing that given the fact that I want nightstands in the room! We'll see...

Tonia Lee Smith said...

The room is coming along fabulously. Kudos and my heart with getting this done with 3 boys at home.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Looking great! You could possibly find a "cube" or tuffet at tjmaxx or target and recover it with gingham fabric. You probably already thought of that. I have a flea market I like in Covington -if that is not too far for you. It is 1 block west of Newton General and 1 block south of Chik-fil-a - in an old grocery store or walmart - very large and might have old frames or old prints. Good prices. (I have lucked upon a couple of great frames there, before - and always eye their furniturem prices -just far enough out not to be atlanta prices).

Amber said...

I can't wait to see the full reveal! I seriously never would have thought about using palettes as a headboard. Is the inspiration photo from PB? Those stylists are ingenius! The room is looking great so far!

Mingz said...

It looks great. And what a cool inspirational picture. I can not wait to start decorating my son's room. Thanks for sharing.
Tomingo

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

I love the space so far! Everything looks great...I can't wait to see the finished product!!

Niki McNeill Brown said...

The green + navy looks so fresh together! Can't wait to see how you finish it out...

Anonymous said...

I am really feeling the green walls. What color and brand is it, if you don't mind me asking? (I may have missed it from a previous post.)

UberBliss said...

Where you found palettes that look that good, I'll never know! When I find them - free and used - they are beat up and narly looking. I can't wait to see what you do with the entire room!

Designer outdoor furniture said...

Nice Beds...Bedroom furniture store

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

This is such. a. phenomenal. idea! I really cannot wait to see the final. Looks like you're on track to make your room just as good as the inspiration image. Wow, who would have thought!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I just completely copied you!! Added trim to my Ikea bedskirt for the master bedroom. I of COURSE will give you complete and total credit when I post on it! Thanks!!!! Janell

Katy @ Eat Drink & Decorate said...

Love that detail!! And super easy peasy & so much more affordable! great job!!!

Loving the colors together can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

katy@ eatdrinkanddecorate.blogspot.com

SAJ said...

New to your blog. I have that same image dogeared in the catalog as inspiration for my sons room. love what you've done so far!

Tammy @ Type A said...

what is this color called? great choice, love it.