6.30.2010

BIG BOY’S ROOM: Seeing Orange

First off, I want to say THANK YOU to all of my new readers and my good ‘ole regular readers of this here blog! Your comments make my day. I know you may hear that a lot from other bloggers, but really, most of the time your comments are the only adult “voices” I hear some days (other than my husbands). I look forward to every piece of advice, feedback, joke, private email, the whole nine. And the comments on the Big Boy room are read to my son and he blushes when he here that other people like his room! It was a little over a year ago that I started this blog and didn’t think having readers. People who actually set aside time out of their day to read what I have to say blows my mind. So again, thank You!

Now, back to this room! So you know that his room is based off the the room my son showed me in the Serena and Lily catalog

sl-duvet-ronan

there are so many things that I think make this room AMAZING. One of those things is the pop of orange. Orange foo dogs, the orange letter R, the orange crate, the orange surf board…..Get the picture? Okay! So I wanted to add orange to my sons room as well. The thing is, I wanted it to be the right shade of orange. One day at Goodwill I spotted this

boys 291

I don’t know what the proper name for it is, but I loved the color and I thought it would be a nice addition to the space to hold his mini legos! Plus, I loved the little chip on it. It already had that ‘worn’ look I was going for;-)

When it came time for me to find an orange that would work for the room, I pulled out all of my paint swatches and paint decks and found Martha Stewarts ‘Saffron’

boys 310

I don’t know what to say about this color except for I’m in love with it (is that possible?)! Its a beautiful burnt orange that’s not to brown or rusty and not too all in your face so put your glasses on orange. It’s a pretty color and I hope I can use it again somewhere! Anyway…. So using my inspiration image, the first thing I painted was the letter A for Antonio to put above his bed

boys 265

I pulled out my favorite brush and started painting

boys 268

And while I was at it, I painted a shell that I picked up from Target a while back for $.98. I only purchased it because it was less thank, but its going to look nice in the room paint ‘Saffron’!

boys 269

boys 270

And the good part about this project was that I was able to use a sample of the paint! The sample jars of paint are $3!!! I purchased the letter at Joann’s which was $3.99

boys 278

I glued the A to a piece of cardboard from another frame. And I used a matte from one of these frames

boys 244

I had plans to paint these foo dogs orange too, but for some reason, I don’t think he need foo dogs. They would just be props and I can use other things for props right? Or do you think the foo dogs would be a great addition?

boys 235

Tomorrow I plan to show you my No Sew drapes that I made for the room! That’s if I leave out to get more batteries for my camera;-)

12 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

It's coming together so well...love the orange!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Love the orange, but get some rechargeable batteries. I got some at Ross for $8.99, it even has a car charger with it.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

How smart to just use the sample paint!! I just talked about getting samples of paint today, but to test, not to actually use. Makes sense if you just need a tiny bit! And no sew drapes? Can't wait to see those...
Janell

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

It's the perfect shade of orange for the room!Looking forward to seeing the No Sew drapes since well...I can't sew!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

This is going to be great! Get those batteries charged - want lots of photos, please!

broomy29 said...

Love the orange. Not usually a fan of it but here it really draws the room together. And I say use the foo dogs, I think they'll be a really smart addition.

Sing of Singature Style said...

That orange is very nice.
I say give him that designing edge in his room with the dogs. I think it would be cool to have those pieces there as he ages.

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

Love the orange!! I say, give the boy his foo dogs! If I remember correctly he was the one that spotted them at the store, he wants the dogs!! Plus, I think that they would be fun.

Can't wait until tomorrow's post!!!!!

Chelsea Junget said...

Love the orange urn you found at the thrift - great item!

Unknown said...

I too love using sample paint cans!! SAves so much money :) I think the foo dogs are cute, keep'em if he likes them

Lynn said...

The orange pops out so nice in his room! I think you've done a great job so far on his room! I can't wait to see your no sew drapes that you made! The foo dogs are cute too.. I'd use them in his room if he likes them..

Have a great day! I love coming here and visiting with you!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I love the orange!! What a great way to add some drama. I kinda like the foo dogs (didn't know that's what they were called...thank you). I have discovered though that anything in a boy's room that isn't mandatory is a dust collector...Carol