10.26.2010

MUNCHKINS….

Today I’m guest blogging for Averill and I’m giving her motherly advice for her new little '”munchkin”!

hdr_logo01

Speaking of munchkins, I read a wonderful group of posts over at 6th Street Design School , where a group of the best design bloggers gave their opinions on the coexistence of kids and great design! Well, here is my view on the matter:

Yes they can exist together. It’s just a matter of figuring out how to make that happen in your home with your kids! So far, I’m failing!

I thought it was a good idea to do homework sometimes at the dining room table…yeah, that was a terrible idea. Can you see the scratches in the left image? Now, can you see the pencil and eraser marks in the second image?

blog 075 blog 077

Thought I could leave some paint on the kitchen counter for a minute

blog 079 blog 078

blog 080 blog 081

Oh I was so…..What’s the word? Well, I’ll let you fill in the blank;-)

that sofa was going to my family room…It’s definitely going now. I’m just going to flip the cushions!

While we’re on the subject of paint, when I test a paint color, they test a paint color…

blog 083 blog 082

Sigh… Of course I have my hands full with three, but most of these mishaps were my fault. But, for some reason I really want to believe that at least my five year old know better…

Anyway, after all of this, I DO believe that kids and a nicely decorated home can coexist. It’s a matter of teaching them what to do and not to do. And it is a matter of planning a design with them in mind. When I say plan with them in mind, that doesn’t necessarily mean that my sofa should have been brown. It means that many items should be kid friendly. Especially the most used items!

Please tell me I’m not the only one who have these mishaps! And make sure you stop by Averill’s blog and see what I recommend for the baby!

10 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Isabella once drew a lovely (unapproved) mural on the wall...my kids are actually pretty good, but they are older! Jumping over to read your guest post...Janell

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

My mom always had nice things, but of course we were taught certain rooms were off limits as children. I don't think many homes are designed like that now.

With my son, I kept some shade of red upholstery for my sofas to hide mishaps but he was pretty good about keeping mishaps to a limit. My husband and his buddies were another story :)

###### said...

Thanks for the comment on the art.

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

My father built his home and had very nice, expensive Oak doors thru out the house. My son decided to carve a happy face on one of them. Oh happy day!
I actually think it is very possible, as long as you are ok with some paint and some mishaps in the mix.

Lindsey said...

oh my gosh! the paint on the couch is rough! the scratched table though isn't so bad. maybe you could just let them keep going with it and eventually it will be all vintage and interesting looking. regardless, your kids are so cute. their little um 'art projects' on your furniture kind of make them even cuter. boys will be boys!

also thanks for the RT today!
xoL

Emily A. Clark said...

This post makes me feel lots better. Within the first two weeks of moving into our brand new house, my second had sharpied the walls and chap-sticked our new sectional. I was pregnant, hormonal and thought I was going to completely lose it. :)

The Helpmeet said...

Just as an fyi, there is a product called Goof Off that will help you get that paint stain out of your sofa and carpet. I spilled yellow paint on our off white carpet (the spot was over 6 in. wide). I used Goof Off and followed up with steam-cleaning the carpet, and you can't see it at all now. Happy cleaning!

yanmaneee said...

birkin bag
supreme clothing
jordan 11
yeezys
hermes birkin
balenciaga speed
yeezy boost 350
cheap jordans
yeezy 700
supreme clothing

thysaez said...

you can try this out high end replica bags read this post here replica bags check my source aaa replica bags