10.07.2011

CHECK LIST: PAINTING CABINETS AND SUPPLIES

Starting from where I left off yesterday, I’m here to talk about the supplies I use to paint my cabinets.  I use Whizz door and cabinets high-density foam rollers.  I love these and I use them for my cabinets, my doors, and my furniture makeovers.  They are found at Lowe’s

Kitchen update 009

Kitchen update 010

Gotta love Scotch Blue painters tape! Again, another must have in my stash…

Kitchen update 007

I love love love Sherwin Williams paint.  I’m painting my upper cabinets in Aesthetic White 7035.  This white is not a bright white and it’s not a yellowish white either.  It has a gray undertone and it’s the color of the trim and SOME of the doors in my home (another thing to add to the check list…paint doors!)

Kitchen update 012

Because the bottom cabinets get the most wear, I decided to prime them again and my go to primer is

Kitchen update 020

Some prefer oil-based primer, but I decided not to go that route.  Plus I wanted to add this, I’m not painting my cabinets again because the the last paint didn’t hold up.  I’m painting them to go with the colors I painted my downstairs late last year.  I want all of my trim and wood work to be cohesive.

My go to brush is

Kitchen update 024

I know a lot of people swear by Purdy brushes and yeah they are good, but I’ve never had a problem with my trusty ole Shur-Line for 6 bucks!

Kitchen update 017

The little craft brush (above) is a MUST for me! I use it to get in the small spaces.  Let me tell you, these brushes are my FAVORITE when I’m painting furniture! You can find them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

Kitchen update 001 

So after sanding the cabinets

Kitchen update 002

and wiping away the dust

Kitchen update 006

and taping

Kitchen update 014

I started painting!

Kitchen update 018

I LOVE THIS BRUSH!

Kitchen update 016

You can kinda see the difference between the two whites. The new white on the left, and the bight white on the right.  I do like the white that I had on them, but the new white is going to be perfect with the wall color!

Now, I mentioned painting the upper cabinets Aesthetic White… The lowers will be another color!  Here is a hint

Kitchen update 019

It’s Intellectual Gray by Sherwin Williams7045.  I went back and forth between this color and Amazing Gray7044, but I ultimately chose the darker color.  Amazing Gray is truly amazing, but it wasn't too much of a difference with my current wall color which is SW Accessible Beige7036.

I’ve already started on the bottom cabinets.  I’ll keep you posted on the progress.  Will I be finished by Monday??? We’ll seeSmile

Happy Weekend!

6 comments:

The Yuppie Closet said...

I'm going to pray that you get this project done. I just finished my cabinets not too long ago. Right now, I'm working on the backsplash + decor. But, the thought of painting another cabinets makes me tired. Can't wait to see your finished project.

www.theyuppielady.com

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I consider you a professional painter now. Can't wait to see.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Girl you are wasting no time. I do see the difference in the top cabinetry color and love INTELLECTUAL GRAY, almost picked it for MY kitchen island!

Okay, stop reading comments and get back to work, and I guess I won't bother emailing you for a few weeks. Let me know when you have come up for air.

Janell

Kristen said...

I have the same drinking glasses :)

Decor & Harmony said...

You have been possessed by the Energizer Bunny haven't you? Painting kitchen cabinets I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I can't until the big reveal....looks good so far.

Unknown said...

You've inprised me to finally conqeur painting my cabinets which I've put off for far to long!! This is on my to do list before Thanksgiving! :)