8.04.2009

IT IS TIME.....

Lately I've been down in the dumps about where "MY" life is going. I became a stay at home mom almost 5 years ago and ever since giving birth to my children, I've always put them and my being there for them first. I became one of those mothers that put everything that she loves on hold and now it is starting to feel like it is permanently. Before kids I had my heart set on becoming a buyer for companies like Nordstrom, Saks, and Barney's New York. My retirement wasn't going to be a regular retirement, but one that consisted of me owning my own little boutique in Savannah, GA or Hilton Head.

I wanted to wear shoes like these on a regular basis:





and dress like this often:


I know that it's not too late for me to start doing things I like. The only difference now is that I do have kids AND a husband, so I can't be Carry from Sex and the City, but I can be what I want to be and that's a success out side of being a wife and a mom. Please don't get me wrong, I love being a mom. I enjoy showing and teaching my kids new things. I love being the one that they turn to first (only because I'm here all the time!). I also love knowing that they have a sense of sercurity knowing that I'm here to catch them when they fall and knowing that it's okay to not get something the first time. So while I'm preparing them to spread there wings, I think it's time for me to do the same. And on my search for what I'm going to do to get to the place I want to be I came up with this



At the Art Institute of Atlanta I can study Fashion Design or Interior Design. Both of them have a soft spot in my heart because they go hand in hand. The only difference between the two is one is decorating a person and the other one is decorating spaces in their lives whether it's their home or work. Either way, you're making an impact! I think that make sense! This is all coming at me so fast. I'm really consumed with all these different emaotions right now. I'm terrified to start a new venture, I'm excited, nervous, you name it and I'm feeling it!

Have any of you experienced this? I didn't feel like this when was going to school to be a teacher. What was your experience when you realized what you wanted out life? Do tell.

5 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Girl, we have to talk!!! I'm a bit older, but have young children, with a long career in fashion before becoming a mom. The transition was tough, I loved becoming a mom, but also felt a very important part of me got lost in the transition. I have reinvented, not for the first time, and am getting to a great spot. I too have longed to pull out my high high heels and dress like the single woman I once was. It's all good, you are asking all the right questions, and have the right intent for not only your family but yourself. I sometimes struggle with time now spent on my career with the children elsewhere, but then I think about the woman I want to be, not only for myself...but for THEM, as a strong role model, my idea of what that is. Write me if you'd like...and hang in there! Janell

SIL said...

As I write this Post, I'm realizing what's really important to me is a peace of mind. First and foremost! I feel like I've lost everything...that some would consider worldly things! Nice house, decent job, nice cars. But the one thing tonight, I'm most proud of and most thankful for is that GOD continuously grants me peace to endure. So Lakeitha be stead fast and unremoveable. And ask GOD to give you peace while you embark upon this thing called life. Because sometime, we have no control of the hands that we've been dealt. I believe that we do what we think is best at that time for our lives. So for now, being a stay home mom, is or was the best thing for your family. I sometime feel like because I was away so much in school that I lost time, that can't be recouped. And that's probably why my 3 year old just realize that I'm his real mom! But now it's your time to shine. And for me, it's a time for me to release myself of all my fears, finish my doctoral degree, and forgot about the pass and just take a step toward tomorrow. Sorry about the rambling, I'm extremely emotional tonight! But I keep reflecting on living my best life without limits and this post continuously challenges me to be true to my heart!

House of Brooke said...

I am new to this and late to reading everything! Love your blog. I can say that when I left corporate I was excited. I started an Elite in home childcare business and was a single Mom. It was the best thing since slice bread! Time with the kiddos, dinner ready when they get home, more time spent with them blah, blah, blah. Well I did wed and that came at a time where I was starting to feel like I needed more. My life had really changed. I was not quite ready for that transition. Anywhoo-since the economy is the excuse for everything, I guess you could say this is part of the reason my enrollment is so low. People want Elite care for cheap! I started Brooke's Closet because I love accessories and can make anything look good. It has been doing well but I still need more. My life now is centered around my Hubby & kids. Me time? What is that and how do you get it? I won't complain because GOD has kept me. But if I could turn back the hands of time, I would have gotten my degrees earlier and I would have done things different. It can get very depressing at time. Hang in there it will all work out. (And I am a college student on line)Follow your dreams........

Dayka Robinson said...

Thank you for your honesty! I'm not married and don't (yet) have children, but I am still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my life. I know, from your perspective, it must be easy to think of the things you would do if you were single, but it's just as hard on this side!! I was just telling a friend the other day, who knew living life and making the right choices (at the right time) would be so difficult?? Good for you for acknowledging your dreams, and continue to make (as much of a move as you can) in that direction. The road will rise to meet you!

Serendipity said...

I felt the same way when I decided to go back to school to study Graphic Design. I love all the different aspects of design. Before I went back to school I learned different graphic software in my free time or as a hobby and I enjoyed it. After some serious thought and soul searching I went for it and I’m happy that I did. I am attending AIU here in GA.