2.15.2010

INEXPENSIVE FRAMED ART

Sunday was a great day to get out of the house and do some thrifting. To bad I didn't do any! Instead, Dayka and I went to the Scott Expensive Antique Market. I forgot my camera in the car so she has all of the pictures of the expensive nice things they had to offer. After leaving, we decided to head to Forsyth Fabrics (which was my first visit) to see what they had. The first place we went to once inside was the clearance section in the back. And what did I spy?


A fabric that I've had my eye on for a while! Kravet Lutron in espresso for $12.95 a yard! They only had 2yards so I snatched them up! I also found some remnants at a great price which brings me to the reason for this post. I spotted 3/8 of a yard of this fabric



The tag said $3.50 but then they took an additional 50% off which made it $1.75!
It really wasn't a lot of fabric, but because I love the colors and what they considered a sample piece didn't meet my standards, I purchased it! On the ride home, I showed the piece of fabric to Dayka and she suggested that I frame it. Hmmm...that got me thinking about these to pictures that I had in my garage that I purchased from an estate sale a few months ago for $1.50 each (half off on Sunday!).


The first thing I did was removed the paper from the back of the frames


Then, I had to raise the staples (the hardest part of this project)


After about 5 minutes of removing the staples, I was able to take off the cardboard and matted picture


this is where it got a little tricky. The adhesive that was applied to the mat and the cardboard made it difficult to separate the two without damaging the mat that I plan to use


So now they're separated (both in tact) and it's time for the fun part. It's time to decide which part of the fabric I want to be the "art".


For the first frame, I went with the single "paisley type" pattern


With the second frame I wanted to switch it up so I used the next pattern that had two of the prints


I cut off the excess fabric and then placed the matted fabric into the frame and I'm done!


Two pieces of art for less than $5!!!


I love the colors in this fabric! It reminds me of one of my favorite House Beautiful Magazine Covers (June 2008)

Have you used fabric as art before?!

I'm linking this to DIY day at A Soft Place to Land

21 comments:

Laura said...

These are so cute and I love that they are super cheap. Great job!

###### said...

never did this before...great idea though..cant wait to try it.

Destination Seaborn said...

Great finds on the fabric and frames! Your fabric art looks very nice!
Have a good week!
Lisa

Eclecticldy said...

thanks for this post! first of all your art turned out lovely. i have some gorgeous fabric left over from upholstering a bench and dining chairs that i had no idea what to do with. i have the perfect frame as well. can't wait to start on this project...hope it turns out as good as yours :)

Anonymous said...

These turned out great! I like the colors too.

Erika Ward said...

Oooh, I like and what great colors. Great suggestion Dayka! It really pops against the chocolate wall. Is this going in your bedroom?

Heather said...

Great score on that fabric, I bet you'll be visiting that store often:) The pictures look great!

Unknown said...

I been thinking about suing fabric as art - but havn't found anything so perfect like you have! They look great what a bargin.

Dayka Robinson said...

Looks great!

Lori said...

What an awesome idea! I am going to have to steal it!

Symone's Mommy said...

LOVE it! Hey, girl. Hope all is well.

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

Love these!!

Sissy

cakid said...

I LOVE this fabric - it's in my dining room and makes me happy every time I look at it. You are so smart to have framed it - the same punch for less $$.

Anonymous said...

I included this in my paisley inspiration post today. Hope you're having a good day!

The Broke Socialite said...

What a great idea! They look beautiful. What's missing? The artist's (your) signature in the bottom left corner of each piece.

House of Brooke said...

That looks great! U could surely sale those and make some good bucks. The deals were ALL a steal! Going to check out the FF website, I need leather (scraps) to make more earrings for Brooke's Closet.
did you put your "Jane Handcock" on the bottom?
creatively created by XoXo

mary beth said...

oh my goodness! You are a gal after my own heart! I am always buying bits of fabric that look great, but I have no idea what I can do with them! I love the paisley you found and I love what you did with it! Great job!!!

Lindsay said...

LOVE this!!!

Anonymous said...

You did your thang here.

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Those look great! Nice splash of color.
-Trish

Alma Zulema said...

Fabulous idea! I had never thought to do that..