12.07.2009

STARING FEAR IN THE FACE

Today while walking around the house trying to figure out how many projects I actually have to complete, I realized that I haven't done a project simply for me (oh yeah and my husband)! Our master bedroom is currently in a state of having different things thrown together


(please don't judge me based on this photo!)

Our master bath is anything but complete






(do these photos of our bathroom remind you of a hospital? Sterile!)

But yet I'm in the process of redoing the boys playroom

(A room that you guys didn't see a thing wrong with)

Here is my reasoning behind that....

I'm terrified of starting on those spaces and not liking the outcome...

My boys are my biggest fans so when I finish a space that is for them, they are always happy. They even cheer me on during the process when I introduce a new item for their space. Whereas on the other hand, I'm the one who has to like the outcome of my bedroom (not to mention my husband). I've gotten to the point where I hate to go into my bedroom and bathroom. Those two spaces drain me completely. I have no feeling of comfort or relaxation. The only remedy that I can think of to fix that is to start a design plan for those two rooms. I'm going to start on the bedroom first. So starting this week I'm going to be in "design mode" (Ha!) and coming up with a plan/direction for my bedroom. I hope that you guys will be there to cheer me on AND tell me the truth if something is getting a little too...

well you know....

UGLY

What do you think? Do you ever give your all to your kids and put yourself on the back burner? What have you done to overcome that?


9 comments:

A Stable Beginning said...

I put myself on the back burner all the time. I love doing for my girls and hubby. Don't get me wrong, I do indulge for myself once every blue moon. Treat yourself to something that would make your day. Pick just one thing you have wanted for awhile and splurge on yourself.

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

I am bad for putting anyone and everyone in front of myself. I am sure your boys will be thrilled with their playroom, because you did it for them.

Cece

40 Means Free said...

That's the sign of a Devoted Mother! Consider these things as your Badge of Courage! Mothers are the BACK BURNER Queens!
But I must admit, I'm learning from my husband who advises me from time to time to focus on one project at a time. Because it's easy for me to venture off on smaller projects to make me feel good about completion. So I too stopped working on my master bedroom and started on visible parts of the house, given the season. But I think their playroom is fine, since you recently did the makeover. But I'd love to see you focus on your master bedroom, because that's your personal space. And your right, if your master bedroom isnt' right, you tend to NOT feel so relaxed in it. But save your money, come up with a plan or get some ideas, save more money, then do your Master Bedroom all at once (Mattress, Headboard, Art, Furniture, Plants, Candles)! Plus I think your Master Bedroom will be the HOTTEST Room in your house given your skills.

P.S. I just told my husband to spend less on me and more on our children for Christmas!

Dayka Robinson said...

I love your use of color, especially in your post. :) Glad you did it. I think you have a good canvas for both of your rooms, and it won't take much to put it all together. I love the neutral color in your bedroom, and drapes/shades and a headboard/wall art ALONE will make a huge difference. I love the color in the bathroom, and I think adding a few simple touches will give you a breath of fresh air. We'll chat about it.

and here's my rsponse:

Your motherly tone is not loud, but more . . . no nonsense. And I can hear you saying that. I didn't even think about it, really. I guess I thought you were done, but it's crazy because we were RIGHT @ LOWE'S, however I did ask you 3 TIMES if you wanted to see the trees, and you said no (remember, you just wanted to "see them if we saw them????"). You know my memory is bad--that would've jogged it. :) And thanks for pressuring me to get the chair. Glad I did.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

The master bath looks like it has a really good start, love the blue walls with the dark cabinetry. A great foundation! Same with the bedroom, it just needs your touch!
I'll be here to cheer you on, go for it!!
Janell

Dreams of Perfection said...

That's so funny that the master bedroon is always the last to get done. I guess that's what happens when you put family first (love the playroom). I think the bathroom color is very pretty also, especially with the dark cabinets.

Annette said...

Girl, we can do our bedrooms together! I posted a few weeks ago about my lack of style in my bedroom even though I spent all of that money on those two mirrored pieces. I am in design and sewing mode right now since I can't do any heavy manual labor until 6 weeks after surgery. But I am on it after the start of the new year with painting and building my headboard. Friendly competition always drives me, so if I see you getting far ahead of me that might motivate me to do more.

Unknown said...

My kids furniture cost more than our furniture. I spent more on their bedding than I do ours and our room is anything but complete. I'm not sure why I don't decorate our master and I spend most of my time on the kids' rooms. Maybe they are just more fun!

I would love to see you decorate your master bedroom/bathroom versus redoing the playroom, which is completely fine...actually more than fine. It is really cute!

Dayka Robinson said...

told you, I'll trade you the table for the two chairs. The ball is in your court--LET'S MAKE A DEAL!!! :)

And did you see those rain gutter bookshelves for the playroom? Great idea if you need something like that.