4.26.2011

ROOM SERVICE ATLANTA: Day 2

Okay, so I’m back with another update on the progress of my room at Nicholas House for Room Service Atlanta.

Today I didn’t get any pictures because I was busy doing a lot of running around.  I had to do an hour and half drive (45min there and 45min back) to get the paint.  Then once I got back, I had to do a review for another sponsor that I was I was able to have come out and donate paint sticks (Again, I’m going to do a post for everyone who donated). 

This post is mostly for me to clear my head.  I am completely overwhelmed with this space

RSA 004

I am sure that the other designers are feeling some of the same feelings that I am.  I knew that there was going to be a lot in the room as far as clothes goes (I expected that), but if I knew the amount of stuff that was going to be in my space before last week, I would have seriously not done the room.  I would have first tried to team up with another person to see what they were capable of bringing to the space to see if we could really do it.

RSA 009

No matter what I do to the room, I CAN NOT organize or purchase the needed storage solutions the residents of the space need. I don’t have the funds to bring in help nor do I have the manpower or contacts as far as a contractor is concerned.   I feel bad about what I am able to do, because this family truly needs more than paint and new sheets.  I think what stresses me the most is knowing that I can’t do what’s needed.  So on Friday, I will be able to take pictures of a made over space, but I will have to bring back all of their belongings.  Now tell me, WHAT WILL I HAVE REALLY ACCOMPLISHED? I know that something is better than nothing. I just can’t stop thinking about the main problem.  When I look at what other’s are doing in there room, I can’t help but think that maybe if I had more time, I would be able to accomplish the same.  Or maybe if I had enough time, I could have gotten more help. 

So on Friday when I show you the reveal of my room, know that all of this

RSA 010

will be coming back into the space with nowhere to go….

I’ll be back tomorrow with updates for Day 3

11 comments:

La Monica said...

Lakeitha, you just do your best and let God handle the rest! I know it's overwhelmming, but focus on what you CAN do. Look at what you've already accomplished - people and companies have donated to this project because your excitement and compassion for this project was contagious.

Remember the post where you talked about how you wanted the mother to feel about her new space? Do you think this mom has ever had anyone willing to take on such a challenge for her and her family before? And a complete stranger at that!

Lakeitha, I can't wait to see the end result of this room. I have no doubt that the mother and her family are going to be blown away!

Nancy said...

Is your problem with the storage lack of space or lack of time or lack of funds? Or all of the above?

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Hi Nancy!

Sadly, all of the above. I have purchased under bed storage (could us more), and I am reusing the furniture pieces that are in the room. But as you can tell in the picture, a lot more is needed. With the size of the space, I can't figure out how to even start with a different type of solution.

40 Means Free said...

Well here is my $.02! I truly feel like RSA and The Nicholas House should have had a COME TO JESUS MEETING in the very beginning with the ENTIRE TEAM of RSA. Simply because I'm not sure what the Expectations we're from each party. Especially when you have a HOST of talent in RSA. Because your team really does need more time for this project. I can only speak as someone who supported the cause because of YOU, I didn't know much about RSA, but I figured it must be a worthy cause if you attached your BRAND NAME to it. Yes, I might be bias because I know you and I know YOUR expectation of your personal work. And I feel like you can't leave a TRUE L.Duncans stamp of approval. However, anything is better than we're the people started. To some degree, I feel like perhaps donating things to the families, as oppose to "ReDecorating their Space" would have helped much more. Because YES, it won't look much different given the small space and clutter that's INVITABLE! Also remember your followers, WE believe in you. Look at how many sponsor you personally brought it. You have been and are a blessing to RSA and RSA is a blessing to The Nicholas House. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger! Keep your head up!

Kathysue said...

Oh Sweetie, you are tired and frustrated and I don't blame you. I think the pressure of giving them what they need and also having the reveal is just too much to deal with. If you can use vertical space, above windows and where ever their is space!! If I were there I would run right over to help!! They will be thrilled with what you do and that is what is important. You are amazing and very talented, we have seen what you can do, but we all have our limits when our hands are tied due to time, budget and space constraints. I am sending you a cyber hug,((((( Laekitha))))))
xo Kathysue

newcombhome said...

Hi Lakeitha, I'm new to your blog but wanted to give you some virtual support! Your head and heart are in the right place, sometimes limits are beyond control and you can just do the best you can with what you have to work with. Thanks for the honesty and good luck!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I'm glad you've gotten some good advice and support through these comments. Do the best that you can, you are, and hopefully it will be enough to help. Janell

Unknown said...

Chile stop whining.

You have been whining every since you started this project. If you didnt think you could do it why did you agree. I have visited with the other designer and they don't feel the same way. Its you.

If you are going to do something just do it!
If you are looking for people to always push you and encourage you then you've got another things coming honey.

I feel bad for them, because you are making this seem like a burden.

It may not go exactly as you want it to, but SUCK it up and do your best.

No one wants to be around a Debbie Downer.
You've got class.
You've got drive.

Throw you head back, square your shoulder and get the work done.


Brandy

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Brandy, Only because I welcome all comments, yours will stay. But let me say this, you obviously don't know me. Nor do you read my blog closely. I would have said that I couldn't do it had I known what was cut out for me early on. I was told last week. And the other designers can barely handle their own rooms therefore the family in my space would have been left with nothing. I AM WORRIED THAT THAT I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO WHAT IS NEEDED. I know I can do something in the room, but what I hate to do is go in, paint and make things look pretty for the camera and then pack all of those items back in the room and think nothing else of it.

You know, it's funny how people leave these nasty comments but then don't have a email address linked or a blog so that can get a proper response....

Unknown said...

Chile,

You responded didn't you? Whats a proper response? One that you can email me with? My comment was not nasty...it was direct, something most of the comments failed to do. They gloss over with praises while people make a plum fool of themselves. My email is linked if you feel you want to curse me out or be "nasty". I'm not commenting as an anonymous. I am commenting as myself.

Brandy

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Thanks for your email, Brandy! I hope you have a great night:)